Some of you may realize that Steph has been living in Tijuana since she and Ryan married in August 2005. And Ryan has been here two years more than her. So if you are wondering how we are doing in our language learning, let me tell you, the only language I (Stephanie) am fluent in is English (and sometimes that is questionable). At times I feel like I'm doing well with Spanish and then there are days like today when I am reminded how far I have to go. Let me explain. I have the privledge of spending two days a week at our friend's home for boys in eastern Tijuana. Typically I help with homework, some cooking, serve food, and play with the little guys. The primary language spoken there is Spanish, of course. Today I was helping one of the younger boys with his homework, trying to explain something but he was ignoring me. One of the staff men asked him, "what did she tell you?" His reply was a matter of fact, "quien sabe." For those of you who know less Spanish than I do, that means, "who knows?". This is probably what a lot of Mexicans think but politely keep to themselves. At least I can laugh about it.
Keep up with Ryan & Stephanie Sorensen as we serve with Baja Bible School in Tijuana, Mexico.
Thursday, March 29, 2007
The Honesty of a Child
Some of you may realize that Steph has been living in Tijuana since she and Ryan married in August 2005. And Ryan has been here two years more than her. So if you are wondering how we are doing in our language learning, let me tell you, the only language I (Stephanie) am fluent in is English (and sometimes that is questionable). At times I feel like I'm doing well with Spanish and then there are days like today when I am reminded how far I have to go. Let me explain. I have the privledge of spending two days a week at our friend's home for boys in eastern Tijuana. Typically I help with homework, some cooking, serve food, and play with the little guys. The primary language spoken there is Spanish, of course. Today I was helping one of the younger boys with his homework, trying to explain something but he was ignoring me. One of the staff men asked him, "what did she tell you?" His reply was a matter of fact, "quien sabe." For those of you who know less Spanish than I do, that means, "who knows?". This is probably what a lot of Mexicans think but politely keep to themselves. At least I can laugh about it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment